Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Sailors Union Church
The "Ship-Church" was ready for service after being fitted with a pulpit and benches holding 600 people. A large roof was built over the decks with 24 windows to let in sea breezes and sunlight. Samuel Kramer, the former skipper of the ship, was appointed minister.
The floating church was condemned in 1852. The congregation built a new church on Lee Street and called it Sailors City Bethel. After several years at that location and a brief stay at a church on Hill Street near Charles, the congregation built the present structure in 1873. In 1881, the name was changed to Sailors Union Bethel Methodist Church.
A model of the William Penn which hangs from the ceiling of the sancutary commemorates the church's origins as a "Floating Bethel" serving the travelers of the sea.
Erected by the City of Baltimore, Sailors Union Bethel Church, sponsor, and William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
Marker series. Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 16.656′ N, 76° 36.457′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on East Cross Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21230, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Army of the Republic (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Hill (about 600 feet away); Major General Samuel Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Federal Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel George Armistead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salvation Army (approx. ¼ mile away); Pride of Baltimore (approx. ¼ mile away); Generating Electricity from the Sun (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,738 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.