Near DeTour Village in Chippewa County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
DeTour Reef Light Station
Located where the St. Maryís River enters Lake Huron from Lake Superior, DeTour Passage separates the Upper Peninsula from Drummond Island. It has long been a choke point for Great Lakes shipping. Anticipating increased traffic as a result of the locks planned at Sault Ste. Marie, the U.S. Lighthouse Service built an onshore light station on Point DeTour in 1848. As vessels grew in size, DeTour Reef, which extends a mile from Point DeTour in twenty feet of water, became a greater shipping hazard. In 1929, the Lighthouse Service decided to replace the onshore light with a station atop the reef. DeTour Reef Light Station is one of only six reef light stations in Michigan.
Located four miles southeast of here, the DeTour Reef Light Station was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1931. The 1861 tower, Fresnel lens and lantern assembly were moved from the Point DeTour Light Station. The new station housed resident keepers, equipment and supplies in three stories. The tower rises more than eighty feet above the water and sits atop a forty-one-foot-high wood crib and concrete
Erected 2013 by DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society. (Marker Number 2252.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 45° 57.89′ N, 83° 59.522′ W. Marker is near DeTour Village, Michigan, in Chippewa County. Marker is on M-134 (a.k.a.: South Scenic Road) just west of East Lakewood Lane, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is west of the De Tour Christian Church. Marker is in this post office area: De Tour Village MI 49725, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regarding DeTour Reef Light Station. Press Release dated 10-16-2013 as stated below::
""Historical Marker For The DeTour Reef Light Station Dedicated:
Citizens gathered on September 28 for the dedication and unveiling of the
marker to a monument of Michiganís maritime history.
by Jeri Baron Feltner
Founding Director Emerita
DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society
The Michigan Historical Commission (MHC) of the Michigan Department of Transportation has
DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society (DRLPS), sponsor of the marker, erected the marker and had a dedication ceremony to commemorate this significant accomplishment on September 28 at the marker site on M-134 five miles west of DeTour Village at the far eastern end of Michiganís Upper Peninsula. Over 50 citizens attended to share in and witness this exciting historical event. Speakers at the dedication included:; Michigan Historical Commissioner Tom Truscott (who made the official dedication); DRLPS volunteers Ann Method Green (President), Dave Bardsley (Director), Dick Moehl (Founding Director Emeritus and past President of the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association), and Jeri Baron Feltner (Marker Program Chair and Founding Director Emerita); and Marge Ellenberger (Michigan Lighthouse Guide) who presented DRLPS with a framed Lighthouse Guide. Special supporters attending included a former keeper of the DeTour Reef Light Station in 1969-71 Floyd Colvin, Harry and Mike Ashley, brothers of Don Ashley who drowned while boating to shore for lighthouse supplies in 1971, and
Michigan Historical Commissioner Tom Truscott performed a perfect dedication for the historical marker. He stated, “The hard work and dedication in restoring the DeTour Reef Light was the most outstanding preservation project I've had the honor of dedicating. The DeTour Reef Light Station has played a vital role in history of not only our country but the freedom of the world. My heart goes out to all of you in the DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society for your unselfish efforts."
“The official State of Michigan Marker for the DeTour Reef Light Station helps bring attention to this community icon treasure and the importance of its preservation,” said Jeri Baron Feltner, DRLPS Founding Director Emerita, and Chairperson of the Marker Project. “Educating the public and making them aware of this magnificent Michigan maritime monument with the historical marker is an outstanding way to preserve this important cultural resource and also help promotion of local tourism,” Feltner said.
After the dedication, a celebration of the marker and the DRLPS 15th year anniversary was held at the Mainsail Restaurant in DeTour Village.
Thank You To The Historical Marker Supporters
On behalf of the DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society,
Michigan Historical Marker Program
State historical markers commemorate significant individuals, organizations,
DeTour Reef Light Station Historical Marker
Located a mile offshore in northern Lake Huron at the far eastern end of Michiganís Upper Peninsula guarding the entrance to
DRLPS submitted application to the Michigan Historical Commission for the historical marker in December 2012, and worked with the state for several months for the proper documentation and review of the text and manufacturing. Delivery of the marker took place on September 26, 2013, and was dedicated on September 28. DRLPS funded the manufacture of the 42” x 54” aluminum casting marker, posts, and sponsor plaque. Sewah Studios of Marietta OH manufactured the marker. ""
Also see . . .
1. DeTour Reef Light Preservation Society. (Submitted on December 11, 2013, by Jeri Baron Feltner of Drummond Island, Michigan.)
2. Video - - "A Tour of the DeTour Reef Lighthouse" ::. (Submitted on December 13, 2013.)
3. Video - - "WildWeekendTV.com - Detour Reef Lighthouse" ::. (Submitted on December 15, 2013.)
More. Search the internet for DeTour Reef Light Station.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2013, by Jeri Baron Feltner of Drummond Island, Michigan. This page has been viewed 829 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on December 16, 2013, by Jeri Baron Feltner of Drummond Island, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 11, 2013, by Jeri Baron Feltner of Drummond Island, Michigan. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on December 16, 2013, by Jeri Baron Feltner of Drummond Island, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.