Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
T.M. Blythe 50th N.Y. Engineers
This quiet wood was once a busy encampment. Here, during the winter of 1864-65, Union soldiers fought not Confederates, but boredom and toil. They drilled, they primped their huts, they read mail and newspapers, they played, and they waited – for their turn in the trenches (a dangerous assignment) or the call to battle.
That call to battle came only three times to the Pennsylvanians camped near here. On one of these – the morning of March 25, 1865 – they rushed from these camps to resist the Confederate breakthrough at Fort Stedman, one mile to the west (to your left).
Erected by Petersburg National Battlefield - National Park Service - Dept. of the Interior.
Location. 37° 13.954′ N, 77° 21.27′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker is on Siege Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in Petersburg National Battlefield. It is located at Tour Stop 3. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Prince George Court House Road (a few steps from this marker); Infantry Earthworks (a few steps from this marker); U.S. Colored Troops (a few steps from this marker); “A Splendid Charge” (a few steps from this marker); Battery 8 of the Dimmock Line (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dividing Point (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Battery 6 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jordon Family Cemetery (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
More about this marker. The background of the marker is a winter encampment of the Union IX Corps.
Also see . . .
1. Petersburg National Battlefield. National Park Service. (Submitted on April 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. The Siege of Petersburg. (Submitted on April 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 934 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.