Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Women's Industrial Exchange

 
 
Women''s Industrial Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 11, 2013
1. Women''s Industrial Exchange Marker
Inscription.
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior

 
Location. 39° 17.616′ N, 76° 36.918′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on North Charles Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brown’s Arcade (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Bicentennial Marker (within shouting distance of this marker); John H. B. Latrobe House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Cardinal Gibbons Monument (about 400 feet away); Rectory of Old St. Paul’s Parish (about 400 feet away); Pope John Paul II Monument (about 400 feet away); Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (about 500 feet away); Enoch Pratt Free Library (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Regarding Women's Industrial Exchange. The Women's Industrial Exchange was established in 1887 and purchased this building in 1889 to provide an outlet for hand crafted goods produced by
Women's Industrial Exchange image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 11, 2013
2. Women's Industrial Exchange
city women. Many wives and mothers were widowed or their husband's were unable to provide an income for the family. These women used their skills to make crafts and sold them on consignment through this shop. They added a tea room and it was eventually converted to a lunch room. Many of the waitresses working in the lunch room were in their 90's when they decided to close in the early 2000's. The lunch room reopened in 2007 and continues to provide meals for city workers during the workweek. The consignment shop still operates today now under the name Women's Exchange.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkIndustry & Commerce
 
Women's Industrial Exchange Consignment Shop image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 11, 2013
3. Women's Industrial Exchange Consignment Shop
Women's Industrial Exchange Lunch Room image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 11, 2013
4. Women's Industrial Exchange Lunch Room
Each table features photos of prominent women with Baltimore roots.
Women's Industrial Exchange Waitresses image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 11, 2013
5. Women's Industrial Exchange Waitresses
Many were in their 90's when they retired.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 26, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement