Lampasas in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hancock Springs Bathhouse
The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad extended its line to Lampasas in 1882, making travel to the area easier, and with the rail came capital investors who quickly built hotels and tourist facilities. In 1882, land at this site was sold from the John and George Hancock family to George L. Porter of Harris County who transferred the property to the Lampasas Springs Company. The company built a bathhouse here, creating changing rooms, facilities for hot and cold baths, and bathing pools for men and women. The company also erected the Grand Park Hotel, which was located northwest of the bathhouse. A mule-drawn streetcar connected the bathhouse with the passenger depot on the other side of town.
Sulphur Creek, which is fed by the springs, has flooded several times since construction of the bathhouse,
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15389.)
Location. 31° 3.299′ N, 98° 10.984′ W. Marker is in Lampasas, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of American Legion Memorial Highway (U.S. 281) and Plum Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in Hancock Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 US Hwy 281 S, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hancock Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); Hostess House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cook Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Hughes' Springs (approx. 1.8 miles away); Indian Culture Sites (was approx. 4˝ miles away but has been reported missing. ); Battle Branch (approx. 5.1 miles away); Naruna Baptist Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); Naruna Cemetery (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lampasas.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 492 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 4, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.