Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Second Army Corps
Second Army Corps,
Maj. Gen. Edwin V. Sumner, Commanding.
(September 15 and 16, 1862.)
Richardson's Division of the Second Corps, preceded by the 5th New Hampshire as skirmishers, led the infantry advance from South Mountain on the morning of September 15 and reached this point early in the afternoon, the skirmishers engaging those of the enemy beyond the Antietam. Sedgwick's and French's Divisions passed through Keedysville, late in the day, and bivouacked in the fields west of that place.
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 35.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 28.133′ N, 77° 42.976′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Boonsboro / Shepherdstown Pike (State Highway 34), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in a tablet cluster on the east side of Antietam Creek along the Boonsboro Pike. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fifth Army Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); 5th Corps, 2nd Division Position Army Headquarters (approx. half a mile away); Pry Family Upheaval (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Second Army Corps (approx. 0.6 miles away); Middle Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Newcomer House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Heart of the Civil War (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. First commissioned in 1819, General Sumner was over sixty at the time of the battle. (Submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on July 10, 2017, by William Glahn of Winchester, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.