Fredericksburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A Navigation Canal Becomes a Raceway
By 1849, a 50-mile navigation system had been extended upstream. Insufficient revenues, however, cause the Commonwealth to foreclose on its loan in 1853. In 1854-1855, the Fredericksburg Water Power Company acquired this portion of the navigation system and constructed a dam across the Rappahannock River that shortened this canal section by a mile and a half. This new structure altered the canalís function from navigation to water power. This upper canal eventually powered several local industries.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 38° 18.987′ N, 77° 29.161′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Fall Hill Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at the northern entry point of the Old Canal Pathway. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Confederate Defenses in December 1862 (here, next to this marker); Confederate and Federal Defenses in May 1863 (a few steps from this marker); Rappahannock River Heritage Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); A Once Promising Canal Becomes a Raceway (within shouting distance of this marker); Fall Hill Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tactical Terrain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Industrial Interlude (approx. 0.3 miles away); Embrey Dam (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named A Once Promising Canal Becomes a Raceway (see nearby markers).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,201 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 17, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 2. submitted on April 15, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.