Newville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers
James Madison Wells founded a village called Wells circa 1882. When Abbeville Southern Railroad laid tracks through the town in 1893, its name was changed to Wells Station. The post office was built in 1894. Wells Station incorporated as "Newville" in 1903. The town of Newville became prosperous with merchants, banks, lodges, doctors, churches, a Newville High School, a Rosenwald High School, societies, a newspaper, a depot, sawmills, cotton gins, mule stables and all the elements required by a developing town. Newville's slow decline commenced after the great depression due to farm mechanization and loss of commerce.
Pioneer men and women of Wells and Newville were farmers, housewives, laborers, tradesmen and entrepreneurs seeking a better life. These pioneers were risk takers who forged a new village and town. Some of these hard working adventurers included pioneering families of: James M. Wells, T. J. Bond, Moses M. Bond, Henry L. Brackin, John Griffin, H. C. Price, Joe Whiddon, Jim Griffin, Dr. Carl T. Jones, Dr. Littleton T. Hutto, James W. Capps, Bud Coley, Abner Jackson, Dr. A. L. Whigham, Lawrence Cotton, Eddie Kirkland, Joe McClendon, John W. Whiddon, Joseph S. Kirkland, William
Erected 2004 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Henry County Historical Group and Friends of Newville.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 31° 25.27′ N, 85° 20.172′ W. Marker is in Newville, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is on North Broad Street (Alabama Route 173) 0.1 miles north of North Railroad Street (County Route 7), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 North Broad Street, Newville AL 36353, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School (a few steps from this marker); Newville Baptist Church / Newville Baptist Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success (approx. 4.8 miles away); Headland World War I Monument (approx. 4.8 miles away); Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square (approx. 4.8 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Headland (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newville.
Also see . . . Town of Newville Wikipedia Entry. (Submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 340 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.