Newville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Newville Baptist Church / Newville Baptist Church Cemetery
A small Baptist congregation met under a brush arbor in 1876, near what later became the village of Wells which grew into the town of Newville, Alabama. A log church called Center was erected in 1881; it stood about 500 yards from the present church. Sunday School was organized in 1890. Farmer's Union Grange Hall, a two story building, was later constructed -- Center Church held meetings on the first floor. Center became the Newville Baptist Church in 1911. Grange Hall was torn down and a new frame church was built in 1913. The present brick church was built in 1923. Additions were added in 1951 and 1958.
James M. and Catherine Wells donated one half acre of land in 1887, for the site of the church and cemetery. The oldest known grave is William Y. Kirkland who died April 10, 1891. The church paid W. M. Harris fifty dollars in 1901 for two and one-half acres of land for the cemetery. In 1947, burial spaces were sold for 25 cents a square foot. Nancy Price gave the church one acre of land for the cemetery in 1958. There are over 700 marked and unmarked graves. The Newville Cemetery was listed on the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register in 2005.
Location. 31° 25.39′ N, 85° 20.286′ W. Marker is in Newville, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is on West Columbia Road 0.2 miles east of County Road 7, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 North Railroad Street, Newville AL 36353, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success (approx. 4.9 miles away); Headland World War I Monument (approx. 4.9 miles away); Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square (approx. 4.9 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Headland (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newville.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.