Near Atmore in Escambia County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The mineral springs was a social center and water was bottled and shipped from the site (early 1900s). WPA employed residents during the Great Depression (1930s). Local sons fought in WWII (1941-45). Many businesses had closed by the mid-1960s as larger commercial centers attracted Canoe’s residents.
Erected 2007 by the William Carney Camp Sons of Confederate Veterans & Residents and the Alabama Historical Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 31° 1.581′ N, 87° 24.568′ W. Marker is near Atmore, Alabama, in Escambia County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 31 and Baker Street, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 31. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Escambia County Training School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Williams Station, Alabama 1866-1897 / Atmore Alabama (approx. 4.9 miles away); Flomaton, Alabama (approx. 8.8 miles away); Alabama's Own (approx. 8.8 miles away); Century, Florida / Alger Railroad (approx. 9.4 miles away in Florida); Alger-Sullivan Lumber Company Residential Historic District (approx. 9.9 miles away in Florida).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.