Bardstown in Nelson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Froman’s Road and Station / McGee’s Stone Castle
Froman’s Road and Station
One mile to the northwest, Paul Froman, grandson of pioneer Joist Hite, cut his wagon road in 1781 from the Salt River stations near Bullitt’s Lick to his new station (1782) on the east side of Froman’s Creek. First improved road south of Towne branch of Salt. New fort sped settlement of central Nelson County.
McGee’s Stone Castle
Paul Froman’s in-laws, Thomas, John, and Patrick McGee, jointly acquired the 1000-acre Froman claim. Patrick McGee, mason, hunter, land-locator, salt-maker, ferry and tavern operator, built Stone Castle beside Froman’s Station before 1790. One of first stone houses built after settlement of central Kentucky.
Erected 2005 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2168.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 52.431′ N, 85° 28.059′ W. Marker is in Bardstown, Kentucky, in Nelson County. Marker is at the intersection of Louisville Road (U.S. 150) and Sullivan Lane, on the right when traveling south on Louisville Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bardstown KY 40004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cox's Station (approx. one mile away); An Early Turnpike / Mile Stones, ca. 1835 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Nazareth College (approx. 1.9 miles away); Civil War in Bardstown (approx. 2.1 miles away); My Old Kentucky Home (approx. 4 miles away); Salem Academy (approx. 4.1 miles away); “A Pretty Close Call” (approx. 4.1 miles away); Twenty-Five Damned Yankees (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bardstown.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.