Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anna Maria in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Island Playhouse

 
 
The Island Playhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, March 19, 2014
1. The Island Playhouse Marker
Inscription. The Island Playhouse is one of the oldest buildings on Anna Maria Island. The simple frame vernacular building was once the home of William H. Gillett and was originally located in the Town of Parrish in Manatee County. In 1912, it was barged down the Manatee River in two sections to Tampa Bay and then to Anna Maria Island. In its new location, the building was first used as a tourist center by the Anna Maria Beach Development Company, which promoted the island community by offering steamship tours to prospective residents. Following the City of Anna Maria’s incorporation in 1923, the building was used for city offices, church facilities, classrooms, and as a social hall for World War II soldiers. Since 1949 the building has served as the Island Playhouse, and offers theatrical productions to the community’s residents and visitors.
 
Erected 2013 by Anna Maria Island Preservation Trust, Inc. and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-792.)
 
Location. 27° 31.613′ N, 82° 44.194′ W. Marker is in Anna Maria, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of Gulf Drive and Pine Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Gulf Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located between the sidewalk
Island Playhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, March 19, 2014
2. Island Playhouse Marker
The marker is located in the Playhouse front entrance courtyard.
and the front entrance to the Island Playhouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10009 Gulf Drive, Anna Maria FL 34216, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The City of Anna Maria Historical Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Anna Maria Pier (approx. half a mile away); “Bean's Point” / Early Legend (approx. 0.6 miles away); Passage Key (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Village of Cortez (approx. 5.2 miles away); Palma Sola Community Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); DeSoto Trail (approx. 5.7 miles away); Snead Island / Seventh Day Adventist School (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anna Maria.
 
Regarding The Island Playhouse. The Island Playhouse is a designated Florida Heritage Site.
 
Also see . . .  Early History of Anna Maria. Anna Maria has the distinction of being the first Anna Maria Island city where settlers established homes. The Island Players Theater, at the Gulf end of Pine Avenue, was a home in the farming community of Parrish before it was floated down the Manatee River in two sections on barges. (Submitted on March 19, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Categories. EntertainmentMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers
 
Island Playhouse Front Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, March 19, 2014
3. Island Playhouse Front Entrance
Island Playhouse Marquee image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, March 19, 2014
4. Island Playhouse Marquee
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 232 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 19, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement