Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Local historians credit Monroe County with the largest proportionate enrollment of volunteers in the Civil War of any county in the United States.
Military enrollments have been proportionately large in Monroe County in every war, due no doubt to the community’s military background. The community was frontier and battleground for the first 35 years of its existence, 1780 to 1815. Its loyal settlers were in the forefront of the war of 1812. Trained in Indian warfare, many of them and their sons participated in the later campaigns of the far west and in the Patriot War in Canada.
Location. 41° 54.963′ N, 83° 23.956′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of West 1st Street and Cass Street, on the right when traveling south on West 1st Street. Touch for map. The marker is just south of Cass Street on the west side of West 1st Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 West 1st Street, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Editor Ellis, 1825 (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Michigan Southern (about Historic Crossroad (about 400 feet away); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (about 600 feet away); Old Whipping Post (about 700 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Monroe County Since 1817 (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Also see . . . Monroe County and the Civil War. Articles and information on Monroe and its involvement in the Civil War- its soldiers, the domestic quarter, home front life, children, local history, questions and answers, and more. (Submitted on March 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.