Milford in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Milford Memorial Stone Bridge
( stones on the large north west tower )
For Thirty Years
Governour & Deputy Gov.
of the Colony of
Obit - 1710
G.A. Tomlinson P.S. Bristol
M.C. Durand N.C. Pond
Architect W.M. Grinnell
Builder John Beattie
1689 - 1889
( stone at the south east corner )
In consideration of his
helpfulness att first com
ing to Milford to show the
first comers the place
( stone at the south west corner )
First Pastor in Milford
The voice of one crying in the
wilderness prepare ye the way
of the Lord make his path
Location. 41° 13.365′ N, 73° 3.342′ W. Marker is in Milford, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of New Haven Avenue (Connecticut Route 162) and Daniel Street, on the left when traveling east on New Haven Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milford CT 06460, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Landing Site (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milford (about 600 feet away); Milford World War II Memorial (about 700 feet away); Milford Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milford World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milford Memorial Flag Pole (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milford Town Halls (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arctic Engine Co. No. 1 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
Regarding Milford Memorial Stone Bridge. Known as the Old Stone Bridge, it carries New Haven Avenue over the Wepawaug River.
In 1888, Milford celebrated the 250th anniversary of the founding of the First Church. To celebrate this important date, the City of Milford paid $3,00 for the building of the Stone Bridge. The bridge bears a commemorative stone for each of the founding fathers of Milford. The first sermon ever given at the First Church can also be found carved into the stone. At each end of the bridge are large quarter-circle stones commemorating some of the most influential of the founding fathers. The towers on the west side of the bridge include bow and arrow hinges and knockers on the door to symbolize the signing of the deed for the purchase of Milford from the Paugusset Indians.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 366 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 22, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.