Plains in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Bank Building
Plains Bank was organized in 1901 by R. S. Oliver, who served as president. W. L. Thomas, vice president, and C. C. Lunsford as cashier. The Plains Bank belonged to a chain of eighty three banks operated by Banker's Trust Company of Atlanta. The bank closed in the summer of 1926.
After the bank closed, the building remained empty for several years. Jimmy Carter and his cousin, Hugh Carter, as young boys, sold hot dogs, hamburgers, and ice cream here on Saturdays. Later, in the 1930's, the Post Office was located here and served in this capacity until 1963. About this time, Hugh Carter began to use the building as the office for his worm farm.
After Hugh's death in 1999 it closed and remained unused until 2002. The Better Hometown Program of Plains acquired the building and renovated it, naming it "The Old Bank Cafe."
Location. 32° 2.007′ N, 84° 23.587′ W. Marker is in Plains, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker is on W. Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plains GA 31780, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walters Grocery Company (a few steps from this marker); M and M Cash Store (a few steps from this marker); Old Carter Peanut Warehouse (a few steps from this marker); Early Days (within shouting distance of this marker); Carter Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); President Jimmy Carter (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Billy Carter Service Station (about 300 feet away); Plains Depot (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plains.
Categories. • Labor Unions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.