Van Alstyne in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of Van Alstyne
The predecessor of this church, the first Disciples of Christ congregation in Texas, was founded during the winter of 1841-1842 at McKinney's Landing in Bowie County near the Texas-Arkansas border.
Collin McKinney, pioneer settler and Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, was the leader of the Bowie County congregation, which had worshipped informally since 1831. Between 1844 and 1846 the group moved to Liberty (later called "Mantua"), three miles southwest of here. In 1846 under McKinney and J. B. Wilmeth, the congregation was reorganized as the "Liberty Church" with eighteen members.
In 1854, the First Mantua Christian Church was built. In this early structure a rail in the center aisle separated men from women. No offering plate was passed; donations were placed on the communion table. Members constructed their own "hymn books," which doubled as souvenir and recipe books. Founders of churches in many cities, including Galveston, Sherman, and Glen Rose, were members of the Mantua church.
In 1887 the Mantua group organized the church on this site in the infant town of Van Alstyne, located on the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. In 1891 the Mantua and Van Alstyne churches joined memberships.
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee
Location. 33° 25.198′ N, 96° 34.6′ W. Marker is in Van Alstyne, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is at the intersection of Fulton Street and Waco Street (Texas Highway 5), on the right when traveling west on Fulton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 South Waco Street, Van Alstyne TX 75495, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Van Alstyne (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Van Alstyne (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mantua (approx. 2.3 miles away); Coffman Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away).
Also see . . . History of First Christian Church of Van Alstyne. (Submitted on April 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 263 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.