Somerville in Somerset County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This building was constructed in 1888 for the West End Hose Company to meet the needs of residents on the west side of town. The new brick building replaced a wooden shed which had housed the hand-drawn fire fighting apparatus of Union Fire Co. No. 1 (1852-1878). Some of the bricks used in the construction were acquired when Daniel Robert demolished the "castle" on the site now occupied by Borough Hall. in addition to hand drawn fire apparatus, the building was home to the borough's first horse-drawn truck (1888) and Macky, the horse purchased to pull the single harness rig. Later in 1916, the first motorized apparatus was purchased for West End Hose Company.
In 1970, West End Hose Company relocated to High Street. The original firehouse was dedicated as a museum to all of the men who have served in the Somerville Fire Department.
Erected 1970 by Somerset County Historic Trust.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Somerville NJ 08876, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Armed Forces Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Somerville Borough Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Furman Frederick Kugler (about 700 feet away); Ruth St. Denis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of St. Thomas A.M.E. Zion Parsonage (approx. ¼ mile away); Former Public Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Former Second National Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away); Somerset County 9/11 Memorial and Clock Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Somerville.
Regarding Fireman's Museum. The Fireman's Museum, located on N. Doughty Street in a vintage Victorian-era firehouse, is owned by the Borough and operated by members of Somerville' Exempt Firemen’s Association, retired members of Somerville volunteer fire department. The mission of the museum is to preserve the history of the local department, its records and accomplishments, and to archive memorabilia and house the Borough’s antique fire-fighting equipment. The museum also is serves to educate children and the public about fire prevention. Full exterior restoration was completed with
Also see . . . Somerville Fire Department Museum. Includes pictures taken inside the museum, as well as a link about Somerville Fire Department History. (Submitted on April 22, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Fireman's Museum.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,132 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on April 24, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.