Auburn in DeKalb County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
“It All Started Here”
This is the last remaining building of the carriage factory that was located at East Seventh Street. This building was actually a part of the paint shop for the company. Buggies and surreys were painted in this building and later, possibly some of the very first Auburn automobiles.
The Auburn Automobile Company buildings were later built on these surrounding grounds. Follow the progression of the Auburn Automobile Company through all of the remaining buildings.
Erected 2013 by National Automotive & Truck Museum of the United States (NATMUS).
Location. 41° 21.336′ N, 85° 3.395′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Indiana, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Gordon M. Buehrig Place just east of South Wayne Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located just North of NATMUS Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Gordon M. Buehrig Place, Auburn IN 46706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Auburn Automobile Company (about 300 feet DeKalb County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site Of Wesley Park's Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); Creek Chub Bait Company (approx. 4.1 miles away); First Settlement in DeKalb County Indiana 1828 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Spencerville Covered Bridge (approx. 9 miles away); Huntertown, Indiana (approx. 10.7 miles away); Civil War Memorial Cannon (approx. 12½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Regarding "It All Started Here". This building was saved from destruction by
John Martin Smith, Dekalb County Historian
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2014, by Kern Butler of Auburn, Indiana. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2014, by Kern Butler of Auburn, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.