Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Van Horn in Culberson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

San Antonio-California Trail

(Three Miles South)

 
 
San Antonio-California Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, April 14, 2014
1. San Antonio-California Trail Marker
Probable mount of missing marker.
Inscription. One of Texas' first cross-country wagon trails. The San Antonio-El Paso section of this route was surveyed in 1848 by a party under the intrepid Indian fighter Jack Hays. Used first by emigrants and gold-seekers, it became part of the San Antonio-San Diego mail line (1857), one of America's pioneer mail services. Passengers on the line paid $200 (one-way) to share a swaying Concord coach with 600 pounds of mail and braved bandits, dust, floods, and Indians to spend 27 days traveling 1,500 miles. Service ended in 1861 at the outbreak of the Civil War.
 
Erected 1968 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 12657.)
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 31° 2.346′ N, 104° 53.819′ W. Marker was in Van Horn, Texas, in Culberson County. Marker was on Interstate 10 2.5 miles west of West Broadway Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Van Horn TX 79855, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 13 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Culberson County (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Clark Hotel
San Antonio-California Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney
2. San Antonio-California Trail Marker
Panorama looking out from roadside park. Missing marker's mount visible foreground, left of photo.
(approx. 3.9 miles away); Colonel David Culberson (approx. 4 miles away); Original Culberson County Jail (approx. 4.1 miles away); Van Horn Wells (approx. 12.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The State of Texas records that this marker was located in a "Roadside Park, 3 mi W of Van Horn on U.S. 80". US 80 through Van Horn has (as in other parts of the state) been replaced by Interstate 20. A local sheriff confirmed this rest stop was formerly on US 80.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 28, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on April 29, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement