Gaffney in Cherokee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cherokee County Confederate Monument
Our Confederate Soldiers
they may not win success.
The brave will honor
the brave vanquished
none the less.
Erected by Moses Wood Chapter U.D.C.
Erected 1922 by The Moses Wood Chapter United Daughters Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 35° 4.342′ N, 81° 38.999′ W. Marker is in Gaffney, South Carolina, in Cherokee County. Marker is on South Limestone Street (Route 150) near East Buford Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gaffney SC 29340, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gaffney Cornerstone (within shouting distance of this marker); Gaffney (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Gaffney (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); Col. James Williams (about 500 feet away); Carnegie Library (about 600 feet away); Cherokee County Veterans Monument (about 600 feet away); Cherokee County WW I Rememberence (about 600 feet away); Michael Gaffney Home (about 700 feet away); Michael Gaffney (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gaffney.
Regarding Cherokee County Confederate Monument. Inventories of American Painting and Sculpture, Smithsonian American Art Museum
Control Number: IAS SC000119
Artist: Unknown (Italian), sculptor.
Title: Gaffney Confederate Monument, (sculpture).
Dates: Dedicated 1922. Moses Wood tablet installed 1932.
Medium: Figure: marble; Base: granite.
Dimensions: Figure: approx. H. 7 ft. x W. 1 ft.; Base: approx. 9 ft. 10 in. x 8 ft. x 4 ft.; Side columns, each: approx. H. 6.5 ft. x W. 45 in.
1. About the Cherokee County Confederate Monument
Moses Wood was born near Pacolet on May 15, 1841. He was a farmer before the war
The women of Gaffney named their U.D.C. chapter after Wood. They gave suppers, entertainments, and accepted private contributions to erect the monument in the location where it remains today. The base is North Carolina granite, and the figure, at parade rest, is Italian marble. The thirteen-foot monument was unveiled in 1922. The footstone was placed in 1932. (Source: A Guide to Confederate Monuments in South Carolina: "Passing the Silent Cup" by Robert S. Seigler (1997) pgs 344-345.)
— Submitted October 31, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,689 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5. submitted on October 31, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.