Slaton in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The hospital struggled at first; a benefactor did not contribute a promised gift, leaving the hospital with tremendous debt going into the great depression. In addition, during the 1930s the population of Slaton decreased, banks closed and doctors moved away. However, the Sisters of Mercy endured and the hospital repaid most of its debt by 1944. And a convent was added in 1952. By the late 1960s, the patient count started to dwindle, and in 1971, the Sisters of Mercy turned over control of the facility as the Slaton Memorial Foundation was established. In 1985, Mercy Hospital closed, and the Lubbock Catholic Diocese
Throughout its existence, Mercy Hospital was an essential healthcare provider in Slaton. Many residents, including employees of the Santa Fe Railroad Company, received patient care at the facility. Today, Mercy Hospital's legacy is of a medical facility that provided for critical needs of the Slaton community for 56 years.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15841.)
Location. 33° 26.016′ N, 101° 39.339′ W. Marker is in Slaton, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is at the intersection of South 19th Street and West Division Street, on the right when traveling south on South 19th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 905 South 19th Street, Slaton TX 79364, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Slaton Bakery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Slaton (approx. ¾ mile away); Engine 1809 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Slaton Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 0.8 miles away); Englewood Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Slaton Harvey House Spanish Explorers' Route (approx. 8.9 miles away); Site of Mackenzie Cavalry Camp (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Slaton.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.