Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cutler Bay in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Cutler Road

 
 
Old Cutler Road image. Click for full size.
By Marsha A. Matson, April 27, 2014
1. Old Cutler Road
Inscription. Old Cutler Road owes its name to the former town of Cutler, a farming community founded by William Fuzzard in the late 1800s. The town was named after Dr. William Cutler of Massachusetts who visited the area around 1880 and encouraged Fuzzard and others to settle here. In 1883, Fuzzard, with the help of other residents of Cutler, cut a path north and east through a wilderness of pine rocklands and hardwood hammocks to the Village of Coconut Grove. The road followed a natural limestone ridge along Biscayne Bay, and established the first overland route connecting Coconut Grove and Cutler. It was subsequently widened to a wagon trail and was declared a public road in 1895. The road became known as Cutler Road, later as Ingraham Highway, and still later as Old Cutler Road. Today, Old Cutler Road, which follows a somewhat altered course, maintains the appearance and atmosphere of a country road, and provides a tangible reminder of the heritage of the Miami area. Old Cutler Road was declared a State Historical Highway in 1974 by the Florida Legislature.
 
Erected 2011 by Town of Cutler Bay and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-715.)
 
Location. 25° 35.968′ N, 80° 18.965′ W. Marker is in Cutler Bay
View to south at Old Cutler Road and SW 170 St. image. Click for full size.
By Marsha A. Matson, May 10, 2014
2. View to south at Old Cutler Road and SW 170 St.
, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Cutler Road and SW 184th Street, on the right when traveling north on Old Cutler Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Miami FL 33157, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Deering Estate at Cutler (approx. 1.2 miles away); Chinese Bridge (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Perrine Land Grant (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Town of Peters (approx. 2.3 miles away); Special Agent Jerry Dove, Special Agent Benjamin Grogan (approx. 4 miles away); Veterans Wayside Park (approx. 4.7 miles away); Whilden-Carrier Cottage (approx. 5.2 miles away); Pinecrest Gardens (approx. 5.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
View to north at Old Cutler Road and SW 170 St. image. Click for full size.
By Marsha A. Matson, May 10, 2014
3. View to north at Old Cutler Road and SW 170 St.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 27, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on May 11, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. Photos:   1. submitted on April 27, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida.   2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement