Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
by Vardry McBee for the manufacture
of arms for the South Carolina troops
in the Confederate service.
George W. Morse, superintendent
of the works, invented and manufactured
a breech-loading carbine pronounced
by General Wade Hampton the best
that he had seen.
Erected 1937 by Greenville Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 51.32′ N, 82° 23.816′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and East Elford Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. SC Ordinance of Secession (here, next to this marker); In Memory of 81st Wildcat Division / Camp Sevier (here, next to this marker); Kershaw Brigade (a few steps from this marker); General Robert E. Lee (within shouting Greenville County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Eighty Unnamed Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. James Williams (within shouting distance of this marker); 90 mm M-2 Anti-Aircraft Gun (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
More about this marker. One of several markers located in a park designed to remember those with military service. The park is located near the main entrance of Springwood Cemetery in downtown Greenville, SC.
Also see . . . Vardry McBee. Vardry McBee is often called the "Father of Greenville." (Submitted on March 14, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About Vardry McBee
Vardry McBee was perhaps the most pivotal figure in the history of our city and Greenville County as a whole. thanks to his business acumen and impressive foresight for how the community could grow and prosper.
A product of
McBee opened the first textile mill on the Reedy River, but he saw value in a diversified economy. In his private business life, that meant he owned two flour mills, a cotton factory, and wool and paper mills. Publicly, even as he approached his 80s, it led him to champion the construction of a railroad line that connected Columbia and Greenville. In 1853, this line became the first rail to serve the community, and it would eventually become a turning point in the economy of the town. (Source: G: The Magazine of Greenville, Jan/Feb 09, pg 66.)
— Submitted March 14, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Confederate Armory
George W. Morse was an arms expert who had been granted a patent for a metallic cartridge, breech-loading carbine on October 28, 1856. At the outbreak of the war, Morse was the superintendent of the armory at Nashville, Tennessee. He later supervised the establishment of the Greenville Armory, known as the State Works. This armory produced Morse's carbine, as well as muskets which were converted to breech-loaders. Morse's fine carbines were issued to Confederate cavalry units but were impractical for field use because their special metallic cartridges were in short supply. The armory was closed and sold at auction in 1864.
The Greenville Chapter, U.D.C., erected this marker on December 19, 1937 for $200. The bronze tablet was originally mounted upon a four-foot-by-six-foot granite stone, the cornerstone of the Greenville Armory of the State Military Works. The fate of the granite stone, once located on Green Avenue, is unknown. The tablet is mounted today on a five-foot steel pole. (Source: A Guide to Confederate Monuments in South Carolina: "Passing the Silent Cup" by Robert S. Seigler (1997), pg 366.)
— Submitted March 15, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,859 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on May 17, 2014. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on September 20, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.