Concord in Appomattox County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Appomattox County / Campbell County
Appomattox County was named for the Appomattox River, which runs through the county. The river is named for the Appamattuck tribe, which lived near the mouth of the river. The county was formed from parts of Buckingham, Prince Edward, Charlotte, and Campbell Counties in 1845; an additional parcel of Campbell was added in 1848. The county seat is Appomattox. On Sunday, 9 April 1865, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee met with Union Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House and surrendered his army, ending the Civil War in Virginia.
Campbell County was created from Bedford County by the Virginia General Assembly in 1781 and named for Gen. William Campbell, one of the heroes of the Battle of King’s Mountain in 1780. The county seat is Rustburg. British Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton’s troops passed through the area in July 1781 to burn supplies in Bedford County. During the Civil War, Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. Jubal A. Early defeated Union forces under Maj. Gen. David Hunter at the Battle of Lynchburg, fought partly in Campbell County, 16–18 June 1864.
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z-58.)
Location. 37° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Concord VA 24538, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Concord Depot (a few steps from this marker); Oxford Furnace (approx. 4.3 miles away); Col. Vincent W. “Squeek” Burnett (approx. 5.3 miles away); Mount Athos (approx. 5.8 miles away); Surrender at Appomattox (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Last Fight (approx. 6.3 miles away); Buffalo Lick Plantation (approx. 6.9 miles away); Eldon (approx. 7.4 miles away).
Categories. • Politics • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 335 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.