Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Built early 1850's by Samuel Farrow Rice, state legislator and Chief Justice, Alabama Supreme Court. Sold in late 1860's to attorney Henry Churchill Semple, whose family occupied home until 1954 when sold to John Haardt, a realtor.
Sold to State 1970. Entered National Register of Historic Places 1972. Offices of the Alabama Historical Commission since 1974. Lurleen Burns Wallace Museum since 1975.
Erected by the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 32° 22.328′ N, 86° 18.519′ W. Marker was in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of South Court Street and High Street. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 458 South Court Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Teague House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War - Barnes School / Figh-Pickett House (about 500 feet away); House of the Mayors (about 500 feet away); Knox Hall (about 600 feet away); Lomax House, 1848 First Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Juliette Hampton Morgan / Montgomery City-County Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil Rights Freedom Riders (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker. • Can you help?