Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg in Whitley County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

County Named, 1818

 
 
County Named, 1818 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 17, 2014
1. County Named, 1818 Marker
Inscription. For Col. William Whitley, famous leader in over 17 Indian battles. By 1794 had driven Indians from S.E. Ky. Joined Ky. militia in War of 1812. Killed at Battle of the Thames, 1813. Whitley county formed from Knox. Williamsburg, seat of government, also named for Col. Whitley. First court held, 1818, in home of Samuel Cox, first citizen of Williamsburg.
 
Erected 1967 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1067.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 36° 44.622′ N, 84° 9.588′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Kentucky, in Whitley County. Marker is on N 2nd Street. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Whitley County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg KY 40769, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scott's Raid (a few steps from this marker); "Aunt Julia" Marcum (within shouting distance of this marker); Roy Martis Chappell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Civil War in Tennessee (approx. 11.1 miles away in
County Named, 1818 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 17, 2014
2. County Named, 1818 Marker
Tennessee); All Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.2 miles away in Tennessee); Civilian Conservation Corps (approx. 12 miles away); CCC at Cumberland Falls (approx. 12 miles away); Kiwanis Trail (approx. 12 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar of 1812Wars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 3, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement