Bardstown in Nelson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Bardstown area was explored in mid-1770s. William Bard came here in 1780 as agent for his brother David, and John C. Owings and laid off the town. Settlement was first called Salem. A land grant of 1000 acres was issued by the Virginia General Assembly in 1785. Of this land 100 acres, including Salem, were set aside for county seat.
William Bard laid off the town and granted two acres for erection of courthouse and other public buildings in the name of his brother David, who remained in Pennsylvania. The first courthouse, of hewn logs, was built 1785; by then the town was called Baird's Town, a variation of family name. It was designated Bardstown when incorporated in 1788.
Erected 1980 by The Kentucky Historical Society & The Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1668.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 48.534′ N, 85° 27.99′ W. Marker is in Bardstown, Kentucky, in Nelson County. Marker is on East Stephen Foster Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in the Southeast quadrant of the town square (or town circle), between South 3rd Street and East Stephen
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McLean House (here, next to this marker); Nelson County World War I, World War II, Korean War, & Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam 1969 Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Harrison-Smith House (within shouting distance of this marker); County Named, 1784 (within shouting distance of this marker); John Fitch Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederates Here/Confederate Raids and Invasions and a Federal Retreat in Kentucky (within shouting distance of this marker); The Talbott Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bardstown.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2014, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.