Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

William Driver

 
 
William Driver Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 18, 2014
1. William Driver Marker
Inscription. Born, 1803, in Salem Mass., and sea-captain at 21, he retired in 1837. Coming here for his wife's health, he brought with him the flag given him in 1832, which he had nicknamed "Old Glory," the first known use of the term. This flag was flown from the Capitol when Federal troops took Nashville in 1862. Capt. Driver died in 1883.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commision. (Marker Number 3A 46.)
 
Location. 36° 9.294′ N, 86° 46.493′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is on 5th Avenue South south of Peabody Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nashville TN 37203, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nashville Plow Works (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vauxhall Garden Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Customs House (approx. half a mile away); Battle of the Bluffs (approx. half a mile away); Randall Jarrel (approx. half a mile away); Demonbreum's Cave (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
 
Categories. Patriots & PatriotismWar, US Civil
 
William Driver Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 18, 2014
2. William Driver Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement