Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Auburn's first separate black community cemetery offers a rich source of the city’s black heritage. Much of the history is oral but it is known that a white man gave most of the land in the early 1870’s. The four acre cemetery contains over 500 marked graves and many others are unmarked. The oldest grave is dated 1879. Those interred here are a cross section of the city’s blacks. Many were born slaves but later succeeded in teaching or business. The cemetery is still in use and is maintained by the City of Auburn but its ownership is unknown. Documentation of the site was done by the Auburn Heritage Association in 1990.
Erected 1994 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Auburn Heritage Association.
Location. 32° 36.263′ N, 85° 27.886′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of South Dean Road and East Thach Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Dean Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Auburn AL 36830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scott-Yarbrough House (approx. half a mile away); Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Dillard-Lawson House (approx. half a mile away); The Baughman-Honour-Stiles House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert Wilton Burton (approx. ¾ mile away); Pine Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel (approx. 0.9 miles away); City Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Also see . . . Baptist Hill Cemetery Historic Site. (Submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 381 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.