Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Pine Hill Cemetery
Pine Hill was established in 1837 and is the oldest cemetery in Auburn. Judge John J. Harper, Auburn's founder, donated almost six acres to the new town to be used as a community burying ground for white settlers and their slaves. The original part of the cemetery lies to the north and contains the oldest marked grave - 1838. Early cemetery records are non-existent as the first survey was conducted in the 1950ís when over 1,100 marked graves were cataloged. Of this number, only one black grave is identified. A cross section of Auburn Citizens are buried here including University presidents and slaves.
Erected 1995 by the Auburn Heritage Association and Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Location. 32° 36.063′ N, 85° 28.715′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Armstrong Street and Miller Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Armstrong Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 304 Armstrong Street, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Auburn University Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Desegregation at Auburn (approx. 0.3 miles away); Auburn WWI Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Lathe (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Auburn University (approx. 0.4 miles away); Robert Wilton Burton (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Also see . . . Pine Hill Cemetery History. (Submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on June 16, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 15, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.