Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McKenzie in Carroll County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Harris-Collier-Holland Farm

One Family's Story

 
 
Harris-Collier-Holland Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 19, 2014
1. Harris-Collier-Holland Farm Marker
Inscription. Albert Gallatin Harris purchased this farm in 1829 and built the present house in 1857. After camping on the land during the Civil War, Union troops ransacked the farm, killing or stealing all the livestock. They did not burn the house because the Harris family had cared for a sick Union officer and nursed him back to health. When Union soldiers stole Harris’s nine-year old daughter Ada’s pony, she angrily shouted after them, “I hope he throws you and breaks your damn neck!”

According to a former slave, Harris and his son John hid silver coins under the brick floor in the basement and paper money underneath the horse troughs. The slave and Lucy Pernecia, Harris’s wife, checked each day to make sure it had not been stolen by passing Union soldiers. At age fifteen, John Williamson Harris ran away from home in 1863 and joined the 20th Tennessee Cavalry under Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest’s command. Harris served as a courier for the remainder of the war.

Family members have found oak trees on the property with long metal spike driven into them by the troops who camped there, as well as ax heads and a bayonet. The farmhouse is the only remaining residence in McKenzie that sheltered both Federals and Confederates. Family receipts confirm that members of Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest’s cavalry frequented the farm
Harris-Collier-Holland Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 19, 2014
2. Harris-Collier-Holland Farm Marker
between 1862 and 1865. Confederate Capt. William Lindsay purchased corn for $2.50 per bushel to feed Forrest’s horses and procured the services of Harris’s blacksmith to “nail on sixty-two horseshoes.”

(sidebar)
Although remodeled in 1957, the house still retains the original frame beneath the brick, as well as the basement fireplace, hand-hewn beams, and the foundation. This Tennessee Century Farm has been placed under a permanent conservation easement with the Land Trust for Tennessee.

(captions)
(lower left) Ada Harris Collier and John W. Harris
(upper right) Harris House
(lower right) Receipt for property February 11, 1865
All images courtesy of Kermit Holland Family
 
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 36° 8.603′ N, 88° 30.392′ W. Marker is in McKenzie, Tennessee, in Carroll County. Marker is on North Carroll Street 0.3 miles north of East Smith Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Kenzie TN 38201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Harris-Collier-Holland Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 19, 2014
3. Harris-Collier-Holland Farm Marker
. Bethel College (approx. 0.7 miles away); Webb School (approx. 0.9 miles away); James Monroe McKenzie (approx. one mile away); McKenzie's Station (approx. one mile away); Clear Lake (approx. one mile away); Forrest's Raid (approx. 2.1 miles away); Christmasville (approx. 7.8 miles away); Camp Tyson (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKenzie.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Harris-Collier-Holland Farm-old building image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 19, 2014
4. Harris-Collier-Holland Farm-old building
Harris-Collier-Holland Farm-Front of Residence image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 19, 2014
5. Harris-Collier-Holland Farm-Front of Residence
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement