Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mathews in Mathews County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Civil War In Mathews County

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors

 
 
Civil War In Mathews County CWT Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 22, 2014
1. Civil War In Mathews County CWT Marker
Inscription. Several Confederate companies were organized here during the war. The Mathews Light Artillery (formerly Co. H, 61st Virginia Militia) was organized in July 1861. On May 14, 1862, it was accepted into Confederate States service as Capt Andrew D. Armistead's Company Virginia Light Artillery. A detachment under Capt. Robert E. Hudgins served at Gloucester Point. Armisteadís company, reduced to 70 men, surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865, with the Army of Northern Virginia. Capt. Gabriel F. Miller's Mathews Light Dragoons entered service on July 21, 1861. Designated Co. F, 5th Virginia Cavalry, by November 1862, it served “as couriers and rear guard Ö on the different marches through the Valley of Virginia.” Capt. Alexander James's Co. D, 26th Virginia Infantry, mustered into service on May 28, 1861, at Gloucester Point.

From Mathews County Confederate Navy Capt. John Taylor Wood and Acting Master John Yates Beall raided commercial vessels. On the nights August 22-23, 1863, Wood captured the Union steamers Reliance and Satellite off Windmill Point on the Rappahannock River. Wood, commanding Satellite, returned to the river's mouth on August 25 and captured, stripped, and destroyed the Federal schooners Golden Rod, Coquette, and Two Brothers. During the same
Court St & Church St image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 22, 2014
2. Court St & Church St
summer, the Confederate Marine Coast Guard operated from nearby Horn Harbor under Beall. The men cut the underwater cable between Cherrystone Inlet and Old Point Comfort, destroyed all the equipment at Cape Charles Lighthouse, and captured at least six Union ships. Gen. Isaac J. Wistar and Lt. Commander James H. Gillis led a Union army-navy task force here in October 1863 to suppress the Confederate raids.

(captions)
(lower left) Mathews County Courthouse, photo ca. 1894 - Courtesy Mathews County Historical Society
(upper right) Acting Master John Y. Beall Courtesy West Virginia State Archives; Capt. John T. Wood Courtesy U.S. Naval Historical Center
 
Erected 2014 by Virginia Civil WarTrails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 37° 26.01′ N, 76° 19.309′ W. Marker is in Mathews, Virginia, in Mathews County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street (Virginia Route 1002) and Church Street (Virginia Route 611), on the right when traveling south on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mathews VA 23109, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mathews County Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Fort Cricket Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Mathews County Courthouse Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Sally L. Tompkins, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Kingston Parish Glebe (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fitchett's Wharf (approx. 1.7 miles away); Captain Sally L. Tompkins, C.S.A. Monument (approx. 1.8 miles away); Kingston Parish (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mathews.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement