The Sluice and Hall Spillway
The old raceway entered the canal about 125 feet east of this point and has since been abandoned. It was used to supply the lower level of the canal with waters drawn from the upper level, and then drained into Eighteen Mile Creek.
Eighteen Mile Creek enters this sluice to your right, and passes under the canal through Culvert No. 125.
The Hall Spillway was used to control the turbulence and to increase the water flow when the locks were open for the passage boats and barges. It also emptied into culvert No. 125.
It was important to control the water levels in the creek as there were over fifty industries using the water from the canal during the 1870's, and several industries now have permits to use water from the canal.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 43° 10.561′ N, 78° 41.174′ W. Marker is in Lockport, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Market Street 0.1 miles west of Exchange Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is set back from the road, parallel with the road and canal and canal fence, next to a small open shelter. Marker is in this post office area: Lockport NY 14094, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . Erie Canal Discovery Center - Lockport, NY. (Submitted on June 25, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.