Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tuscola in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Cedar Gap Community

 
 
Cedar Gap Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 12, 2014
1. Cedar Gap Community Marker
Inscription. Originally named Coates for early settler Kem Coates, Cedar Gap community formed in the late 19th century. Coates, on whose land the post office was later located, arrived in the 1870s, and by the early 1880s, a number of families from Robertson County settled here. Residents soon organized Cedar Gap Baptist Church, which remained in existence until the 1970s. The Rev. G.C. Scott served as the first pastor.
     Cedar Gap grew as transportation improved. First served by the Cedar Gap Pike (later County Road 127), a stagecoach route running from Abilene south to Content, the community developed further as the Abilene & Southern Railway reached the area. Built in 1909, the railway ran from Abilene to San Angelo, passing through Cedar Gap, where the company constructed a frame waiting station. Contractors employed area residents to help building the railroad.
     Life in Cedar Gap revolved around a number of other institutions, including a school, which opened in the 1880s and first met in the Baptist Church building moving to its own structure in 1898. In the early 20th century, as the community grew, the school moved two more times, in 1908 and 1916, to accommodate the large number of students, eventually consolidating with the Tuscola District in 1948. Other community establishments included a blacksmith shop, general store,
Cedar Gap Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 12, 2014
2. Cedar Gap Community Marker
View to north; US 83/84 on left side
Marker on right side next to fence
cotton gin and Woodmen of the World Lodge (No. 2184). Today, Cedar Gap Cemetery, located near the former church site and containing graves of early area settlers, serves as a reminder of this once-vibrant community.
 
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15584.)
 
Location. 32° 15.332′ N, 99° 45.546′ W. Marker is near Tuscola, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 83/84 and County Road 150, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at the southeast corner of the intersection in front of the Cedar Gap Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscola TX 79562, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Taylor County (approx. 1.5 miles away); Fletcher Ranch (approx. 4.3 miles away); Vicinity of Indian Fight (approx. 4.3 miles away); Town of Buffalo Gap (approx. 4.3 miles away); Buffalo Gap College (approx. 4.3 miles away); Jim Ned Creek (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Ernie Wilson Museum (approx. 4.5 miles away); a different marker also named Taylor County (approx. 4.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscola.
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Entrance to Cedar Gap Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 12, 2014
3. Entrance to Cedar Gap Cemetery
View to northeast
Cedar Gap Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 12, 2014
4. Cedar Gap Cemetery
View to east
Cedar Gap Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 12, 2014
5. Cedar Gap Cemetery
View to west
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 287 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement