Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bergenfield in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

South Church

 
 
South Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 1, 2008
1. South Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1723 as the Schraalenburg Dutch Reformed Church. First church erected in 1728, 150 feet to the east, the present building in 1799. The True Reformed Church was founded here in 1822. The church became Presbyterian in 1913. John Henry Goetschius, minister from 1748 to 1774, the principal founder of Queens College (Rutgers), and many Revolutionary War soldiers are buried in the churchyard.
 
Erected by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 55.748′ N, 74° 0.184′ W. Marker is in Bergenfield, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on West Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 150 West Church Street, Bergenfield NJ 07621, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old North Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); In Grateful Remembrance (approx. 0.9 miles away); Derick Banta House (approx. one mile away); African American Baptist Church Cemetery
South Church Marker on West Church Street image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 1, 2008
2. South Church Marker on West Church Street
(approx. one mile away); Old Slave Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Jacobus Demarest Homestead (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of the French Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Demarest-Bloomer House (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bergenfield.
 
Regarding South Church. In 1765, a charter was granted to United Protestant Dutch Reformed churches of Hackensack and Schraalenburgh, one of the first ten church charters in New Jersey. "Schraalenburgh" means "scraggly hill" in Dutch.
 
Also see . . .
1. Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on May 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. History of the South Presbyterian Church. Official Website. (Submitted on May 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
 
National Register Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 1, 2008
3. National Register Marker
South Church has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
South Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 1, 2008
4. South Church
The South Church in Bergenfield is on the National Register of Historic Places. A National Register plaque is on the left gate post.
South Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 1, 2008
5. South Church Cemetery
The South Church cemetery contains burials of parishioners up to 1911. Included are a number of Revolutionary War soldiers, and John Henry Goetschius, one of the original founders of what today is Rutgers University.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,041 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement