Fairview in Sanpete County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Fairview Pioneer Cemetery
The cemetery was originally laid out in a rectangular shape. In the late 1800s, a flood from the west draw washed out several graves in the northeast section of the cemetery, causing burial to cease in that section.
Many of the headstones, the oldest of native limestone, mark the graves of mothers and their children who died of disease, childbirth complications, and accidents. Entire families were laid to rest here, having worn out their lives making the desert "blossom as a rose." In turn, an honorable legacy was left.
Fairview, settled in 1859, was first named North Bend. Because of the incomparable scenery of the mountains to the east, blanketed with pines, aspens, and wild flowers in perfusion, the name was changed in 1864.
The Stone used to build this monument was the original stone from the Fairview Fort, built in the 1860s. During the Black Hawk War of the mid-1860s,
Erected 1999 by North Bend Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 523.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 39° 38.216′ N, 111° 27.139′ W. Marker is in Fairview, Utah, in Sanpete County. Marker is on Cemetery Road 0.4 miles north of West 100 North Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairview UT 84629, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mill Stones (approx. one mile away); Settlement of Fairview (was approx. one mile away but has been reported missing. ); Mt. Pleasant Fort (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Liberal Hall (approx. 6.3 miles away); Pioneer Monument (approx. 6.3 miles away); Last Peace Treaty (approx. 6.4 miles away); William Stuart Seeley House (approx. 6.4 miles away); Lewis Lund (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairview.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 259 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.