Oesterlen Well Site / Old Mill Stream Fairgrounds
Oesterlen Well Site
The site of the natural gas well generally credited with the beginning of the "Gas Boom" in Hancock County is approximately 300 feet west of this marker. German physician, Dr. Charles Oesterlen drilled the well on his land in 1884. In Dec. 5 of that year the well reached a depth of 1092 feet and produced 250,000 cubic feet of gas in a 24-hour period.
Old Mill Stream Fairgrounds
The Hancock County Agricultural Society was organized on March 26, 1938. The Society soon purchased an 80 acre farm once owned by Tell Taylor, composer of the song "Down by the Old Mill Stream," and held its first fair on this site October 13-15, 1938. The county fair has been held here every year since then except for 1942 during World War II.
Erected 1989 by Hancock County Agricultural Society, Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County. (Marker Number 16- 32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riverside Park / Old Mill Stream (approx. half a mile away); Hull's Army (approx. half a mile away); The Glass Industry of Findlay, Ohio (approx. 0.6 miles away); First School Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Underground Railroad in Hancock County (approx. one mile away); Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 (approx. one mile away); Hancock County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Findlay.
More about this marker. this is a dual marker, noting two separate subjects.
Regarding Oesterlen Well Site / Old Mill Stream Fairgrounds. There are multiple other markers and monuments in the Findlay area regarding the gas and Oil Boom.
Categories. • Agriculture • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Oesterlen Well Site / Old Mill Stream Fairgrounds.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 7, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 2. submitted on July 16, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on July 7, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.