Santaquin in Utah County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Southern Utah Valley
In 1844 Lt. John C. Fremont whose careful scientific observations led to the definition of the Great Basin, also visited this area. His reports were studied by the Mormons prior to their departure from Illinois in 1846. He noted that "there is good soil and good grass adapted to civilized settlements." A fact which undoubtedly contributed to the choice of the Great Basin as the destination of the Mormon Pioneers.
Despite the general Mormon policy of feeding rather fighting the Indians, a corollary of their settlement on Indians lands in Utah was the frequent loss of life and property among the Indians as well as the white man. Before Congress extinguished the Indian land title and removed local tribes to the Uintah Basin, a 640 acre Indian Farm was established in 1855 near the mouth of the Spanish Fork River in an effort to educate the Indians to sustain
Marker series. This marker is included in the Dominguez y Escalante Expedition marker series.
Location. 39° 58.425′ N, 111° 47.229′ W. Marker is in Santaquin, Utah, in Utah County. Marker is at the intersection of West 100 South Street and South 100 West Street, on the right when traveling east on West 100 South Street. Marker is on the southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santaquin UT 84655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Santaquin (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Relief Society Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Goshen's Historic Grist Mill Stone (approx. 6.2 miles away); Pond Town Fort (approx. 8 miles away); Original Goshen Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Elberta (approx. 9.1 miles away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 11.1 miles away); Fort Palmyra (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santaquin.
Categories. • Exploration •
More. Search the internet for Southern Utah Valley.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 290 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 12, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.