Three Rivers in Saint Joseph County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Three Rivers Civil War Monument
Appomattox Stone River Antietam Chickamauga Fredericksburg Missionary Ridge Chancellorsville Reseca Cold Harbor Tebbs Bend Petersburg Perryville Hatchers Run Knoxville Five Forks Franklin Cedar Mountain Nashville Pea Ridge Malvern Hill Cedar Creek Winchester Peninsular Campaign Mobile Charleston Harbor Atlanta Monitor & Merrimac
From 1861 to 1865
Erected to the memory of our soldiers
who fought for Union and Liberty.
“No Nation ever had truer Sons. In
honor now they rest. Their marches,
sieges and battles, in distance,
duration, resolution and brilliancy of
results, dim the luster of the Worlds
past military achievements.
“We are many States, but one people.
Having one government, one flag, and one
“With malice toward none, with charity
for all, let us bind up the Nations
wounds, care for him who shall have
borne the battles, and for his widow
and his orphans.”
“Government of the People, by the People,
for the People.”
Lincoln Grant Sherman Sheridan Thomas Farragut
“God reigns and the Government of Washington
United we stand, divided we fall.
The Union forever.
If any one attempts to haul down the
American flag, shoot him on the spot.
Eternal vigilance is the price of
Let us have peace.
Location. 41° 57.251′ N, 85° 38.04′ W. Marker is in Three Rivers, Michigan, in Saint Joseph County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Main Street (Business U.S. 131) and E. Hoffman Street, on the right when traveling north on N. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in Bowman Park. Marker is in this post office area: Three Rivers MI 49093, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Three Rivers Public Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sue Silliman House (approx. Ύ mile away but has been reported missing); Three Rivers (approx. 0.8 miles away); Three Rivers Town Cannon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Legendary Battle (approx. French Trading Post (approx. 0.9 miles away); Three Rivers Soldiers Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Three Rivers.
1. Bowman Cemetery
John H. Bowman Memorial Park was originally used as a cemetery when the town of Three Rivers was platted in 1836. The Bowman Family deeded the land to the town with the understanding that it would remain a cemetery or the land would revert back to the heirs of the Bowman Family. A larger cemetery in Three Rivers, Riverside Cemetery, was established in 1859, and the Bowman Cemetery was no longer needed. All of the bodies in the Bowman Cemetery were exhumed and re-interred in Riverside Cemetery except for one. The grave of Caroline Fellows Bowman Winn remained in the Bowman Cemetery, and the Daughters of the American Revolution placed a marker on her grave noting that she was the daughter of Abiel Fellows, a Revolutionary War soldier. With her presence in Bowman Park, the park remains a cemetery as originally stipulated by the Bowman Family in their gift of land to the town.
Source - Three Rivers: The Early Years and St. Joseph County in Homespun,
— Submitted July 14, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 331 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 14, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.