Eau Claire in Eau Claire County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Luther Midelfort: A History of Caring
Its doors are open to every sufferer, with no shadow of restriction as to the color of their skin or of their money, or the shade of their religious belief."
Luther Hospital's beginnings trace back to 1895 when a group of Norwegian Lutheran clergymen and members of the community, businesses and charitable organizations began working together to build a non-sectarian, not-for-profit hospital. In 1905 the hospital opened its doors to the community, serving 195 patients during its first year.
Dr. Hans Christian Midelfart, a Norwegian immigrant who arrived in Eau Claire in 1892, once served on the hospital Board of Directors. He headed its medical and surgical staffs and was also the founder of Middelfart Clinic. Middelfart dreamed of building a medical practice in Eau Claire and along with his partners, Dr. Johan Mathieson and four others colleagues, opened the Middelfart Clinic in downtown Eau Claire in 1927. The clinic moved to a larger facility on the city's southside in 1969 and changed its name to Midelfort Clinic.
As Luther Hospital grew, it soon became apparent that there was a need for a training program for nurses. In 1907, the hospital founded its own nursing school and the first class
The hospital continued to expand through the years in order to keep pace with patient care needs and technological advances in equipment and treatment. In 1992, Luther Hospital and Middelfort Clinic merged with the Mayo Foundation of Rochester, Minnesota. Midelfort Clinic expanded its Eau Claire base of operation in 1995 by opening the Middelfort Clinic - Luther Campus facility, a five-floor medical office building located at the north end of Luther Hospital. By 2000, Luther Midelfort had a medical staff of over 180 physicians, nearly 10,000 hospital admissions and over 676,000 clinic visits per year!
Luther Midelfort - Mayo Health System
Erected 2001 by the City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission; Luther Midelfort - Mayo Health System. (Marker Number 15.)
Location. 44° 48.688′ N, 91° 30.817′ W. Marker is in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, in Eau Claire County. Marker can be reached from Whipple Touch for map. Marker is along the Lakeshore Trail at Half Moon Lake near the hospital parking ramp entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1105 Whipple Street, Eau Claire WI 54703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The "Flume" (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Log Flume" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Mittelstadt House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Legend of Paul Bunyan (approx. ¼ mile away); The Ice Industry on Half Moon Lake (approx. ¼ mile away); Herman T. Lange House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waldemar Ager House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Recreation on Half Moon Lake (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eau Claire.
More about this marker. photo caption: Luther Hospital, May 1921. Celebration of National Hospital Day.
Also see . . . Mayo Clinic Health System. History. (Submitted on July 14, 2014.)
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.