Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stafford in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Austin Run Pyrite Mine

Stafford, Virginia

 
 
Austin Run Pyrite Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 6, 2014
1. Austin Run Pyrite Mine Marker
Inscription. Pyrite, an important source of sulfuric acid, was discovered in Stafford in 1902. Mining commenced near Smith Reservoir in 1903 but soon moved south to Garrisonville Road in what is now Hampton Oaks subdivision. The main shaft was 650 feet deep. In 1909, a narrow gauge railroad opened to carry ore to coal landing for shipment. Plagued by financial troubles, the mine closed c. 1926.
 
Erected 2014 by Stafford County.
 
Location. 38° 27.442′ N, 77° 25.471′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Northampton Boulevard and Mine Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in front of the Hampton Oaks Community Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 80 Northampton Blvd, Stafford VA 22554, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Robertson Quarry (approx. one mile away); The Robertson-Towson House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Peyton’s Ordinary (approx. 1.2 miles away); Aquia Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fleurries (approx. 1.2 miles away);
Austin Run Pyrite Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 6, 2014
2. Austin Run Pyrite Mine Marker
Marker in front of Hampton Oaks Community Center
Mary Kittamaquund (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ebenezer Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Historic Aquia Creek (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stafford.
 
More about this marker. Unveiled on August 5, 2014. Part of Stafford's 350 Celebration
 
Also see . . .  Pyrite Mining in Stafford County (MS Word document). (Submitted on August 15, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNatural ResourcesRailroads & Streetcars
 
Shaft head and mill, Austin Run mine image. Click for full size.
By Virginia Conservation and Development Commission, circa 1927
3. Shaft head and mill, Austin Run mine
Photo retrieved from a 1927 State of Virginia Geological Survey
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2014, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 311 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2014, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   3. submitted on August 15, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement