Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Catharines in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Bollards & Fairleads

Mooring

 
 
Bollards & Fairleads Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
1. Bollards & Fairleads Marker
Marker faces north.
Inscription. Bollards and Fairleads are used to control the lines (rope and cables) used to tie up a ship.

Bollards are steel or concrete posts, on land and on a ship, used to secure a vessel. Vessels travelling through the Welland Canal are tied up in each lock before the water level is raised or lowered. This reduces the risk of damage both to the lock and the ship.

When moving upbound, as the ship enters the lock, line handlers send down the heaving line
(thin yellow ropes) to the deckhands who attach the heavy mooring hawsers (cables).
The line handlers then use capstans (winches) to raise these lines and the attached hawsers. The hawsers are then looped over the bollards on the lock wall.

When moving downbound, the deck of the ship is above the edge of the lock. The ship's crew throw the heaving lines down to the line handlers.

Fairleads are a form of block, rotating to allow ropes and cables to move freely as part of a pulley. Some fairleads are used singly to guide a line, Heavey hawsers are used to secure ships in the locks of the Canal and run up through the fairlead openings.

[arrow pointing far left] Deck-mounted double Bollard from a ship.
[arrow pointing left] Three-roller deck-mounted Fairlead from a ship.
Two-sheave deck-mounted Fairlead
Bollard & Fairleads image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
2. Bollard & Fairleads
from a ship.[arrow pointing right]
Bollard from the Ontario Paper Co. dock in Thorold, ca. 1932. [arrow far right]

Caution! Climbing on the artifacts can be hazardous.

Bollards and Fairleads donated and restored by Port Weller Dry Docks.
 
Location. 43° 9.31′ N, 79° 11.645′ W. Marker is in St. Catharines, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds of the St. Catharines Museum & Wellands Canals Centre. Marker is between the museum building and the canal. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1932 Welland Canals Parkway, St. Catharines, Ontario L2R7K6, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vertical Lift Bridges (a few steps from this marker); Shipbuilding in Niagara (within shouting distance of this marker); Horse Drawn Grape Hoe (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Welland Canals (within shouting distance of this marker); Spring Tooth Cultivator (within shouting distance of this marker); International Shipmasters' Association (within shouting distance of this marker); The Welland Canals and the St. Lawrence Seaway System (within shouting distance of this marker); Welland Ship Canal (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Catharines.
 
Also see . . .
Bollard & Fairlead - Left of Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
3. Bollard & Fairlead - Left of Marker
Deck-mounted double bollard from a ship and three-roller deck-mounted fairlead from a ship.
 St. Catharines Museum & Welland Canal Centre. (Submitted on August 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Bollard & Fairlead - Right of Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, July 27, 2014
4. Bollard & Fairlead - Right of Marker
Two-sheave deck-mounted fairlead from a ship and bollard from the Ontario Paper Co. dock in Thorold, Ontario, ca. 1932.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 227 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 9, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement