Sheldon in Wyoming County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pioneer outpost 1804
on Indian trail from
Portage to Lake Erie
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 46.228′ N, 78° 23.129′ W. Marker is in Sheldon, New York, in Wyoming County. Marker is on Big Tree Road (U.S. 20A) 0.2 miles east of Allegheny Road (New York State Route 77), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Strykersville NY 14145, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ziba Hamilton (approx. 2 miles away); Site of U.S. CCC Camp #1285 (approx. 4.7 miles away); Site of Moffat's Tannery (approx. 10.6 miles away); Wales Memorial Building and Park (approx. 10.7 miles away); Site of Alden's Black Water Mineral Baths (approx. 10.8 miles away); "Fort Humphrey" (approx. 11 miles away); Cobblestone School (approx. 11.1 miles away); First Library (approx. 11.2 miles away).
More about this marker. The Town of Sheldon Historian, as of 7/15/2014, stated the marker was being repaired. The original pictures for this page, showing the marker missing from the site on 7/12/2014, have been
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.