Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bellefontaine in Logan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Bellefontaine Airport Pylon

Copy of the Wright Brothers National Monument

 

—Moved Multiple Times —

 
Bellefontaine Airport Pylon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 26, 2014
1. Bellefontaine Airport Pylon Marker
text is too small to read
Inscription.
(plaque #1)

In recognition of Lawrence E. Rausenberger pioneer designer and builder of aircraft engines first flight off this field Aug. 1, 1912

(plaque #2)

Pylon dedicated by Bellefontaine Air Squadron No. 2 August 1, 1948 on 36th anniversary of first airplane flight made from this field

(plaque #3)

in recognition of Clarence H. Wissler pioneer designer and builder of airplanes since 1909
 
Erected 1948 by Bellefontaine Air Squadron No. 2.
 
Location. 40° 22.206′ N, 83° 49.089′ W. Marker is in Bellefontaine, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on Vicario Drive half a mile north of St Rt 47 West (Ohio Route 47), in the median. Touch for map. marker is located at the edge of the runway, at the end of Vicario Drive, which connects the airport with St Rt 47. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3100 St Rt 47 West, Bellefontaine OH 43311, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Manary House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hull's Army in 1812 (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lewis R. Ratleff Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Harmon Field
Bellefontaine Airport Pylon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 26, 2014
2. Bellefontaine Airport Pylon Marker
at runway fence, Bellefontaine Regional Airport
(approx. 2.4 miles away); Free Servicemen's Canteen, 1942-1946 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Powell Park, the Old Burial Ground (approx. 3 miles away); The Railroad in Logan County (approx. 3 miles away); General Robert Patterson Kennedy (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellefontaine.
 
More about this marker. this marker has been moved three times. it originally was set at the old "Tanger Airport". Then moved to the "new" Bellefontaine Municipal Airport in the 1960's. In 2002 it was moved to the new Bellefontaine Regional Airport.
 
Regarding Bellefontaine Airport Pylon. The marker holds three bronze plaques. It was modeled after the Wright Brother's National Monument at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
 
Additional keywords. first flights, 1909
 
Categories. Air & Space
 
Plaque #1 commemorated Lawrence Rausenberger image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 26, 2014
3. Plaque #1 commemorated Lawrence Rausenberger
Plaque #2 - - Bellefontaine Airport Pylon Marker dedication plaque image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 26, 2014
4. Plaque #2 - - Bellefontaine Airport Pylon Marker dedication plaque
Bellefontaine Air Squadron No.2 was a program of the Boy Scouts of America, sponsored by the Bellefontaine Police Department. Some of the persons in this picture are still alive.
Plaque # 3 - - commemorating Clarence Wissler image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 26, 2014
5. Plaque # 3 - - commemorating Clarence Wissler
The Wissler family ran a Dry- Goods Department Store in downtown Bellefontaine.
Air Squadron No. 2 image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 1, 1948
6. Air Squadron No. 2
from the archives of the Logan County Historical Society, and the former Logan County Historical Aviation Society.
Clarence Wissler with one of his planes image. Click for full size.
7. Clarence Wissler with one of his planes
Lawrence E. Rausenberger image. Click for full size.
8. Lawrence E. Rausenberger
holding an aircraft engine
Bellefontaine Regional Airport image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 26, 2014
9. Bellefontaine Regional Airport
St Rt 47 west of Bellefontaine, at Vicario Drive
old Tanger Airport image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 26, 2014
10. old Tanger Airport
original location of the pylon. This field was also called the "Hare Port" It was operated by the Tanger family for many years.
Bellefontaine Airport Pylon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 26, 2014
11. Bellefontaine Airport Pylon Marker
map showing various locations of this marker. Blue star is the original location, at Tanger's Airport, from 1948 to 1962. Yellow Star marks the "new" Bellefontaine Municipal Airport", now abandoned. Red star indicates current location at Bellefontaine Regional Airport. Map marked and colored by Dr. Ronald Irick, using Logan County Engineer's current highway map, from Engineer's web- site.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 339 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on August 26, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement