Poland in Mahoning County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Village Green and Graveyard/Poland Presbyterian Church
The Village Green and Graveyard
In 1798, Judge Turhand Kirtland came to Township 1, Range 1 as an agent of the Connecticut Land Company. In 1804, Kirtland donated the Village Green and the graveyard adjoining the church to the residents of Poland. On the Green, the settlers built a log meetinghouse and school. Prior to 1812, the local militia drilled here and, in 1861, young men trained here before leaving to fight in the Civil War. The graveyard contains some 450 graves of early families of Poland, including settlers such as Kirtland, Fowler, Walker, Morse, Arrel, Adair, Lee, McCombs, and Truesdale. Among those buried here are thirteen Revolutionary War veterans, thirteen veterans of the War of 1812, and ten men who fought in the Civil War. In 1862, Samuel K. Hine provided in his will for the maintenance of both the Graveyard and the Green.
Poland Presbyterian Church
Poland Presbyterian Church was established by Reverends William Wick and Joseph Badger in May 1802, one year before Ohio became a state. Church services were held on the Green until a log meetinghouse was completed in 1804. In 1828, a white frame church was constructed on the Green. It was replaced in 1855 with a larger brick structure on the present site. The 1850 bell in the frame church was moved
Erected 2014 by Poland Historical Society, Samuel K. Hine Fund, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 40-50.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.169′ N, 80° 36.481′ W. Marker is in Poland, Ohio, in Mahoning County. Marker is on South Main Street (Ohio Route 170) 0.1 miles north of Nesbitt Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Youngstown OH 44514, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Judge Turhand Kirtland (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Four Heroic Chaplains (approx. ¼ mile away); President William McKinley's Boyhood Home Poland Academy and Poland Seminary (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old Stone Tavern (approx. 0.4 miles away); Poland Village Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Peterson Park and Clock Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Poland.
More about this marker. Marker was dedicated on September 13, 2014
Also see . . .
1. Historical Marker placed in Poland. (Submitted on September 14, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
2. Poland gets its fifth Ohio Historical Marker. (Submitted on September 14, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
3. Poland Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on September 14, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 13, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.