Greenwood in Leflore County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Founded by John Williams as Williams Landing, 1834. Chartered as Greenwood, 1844. Since 1917 has been the world's largest long staple cotton market.
Erected 1965 by the Mississippi Historical Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 33° 31.26′ N, 90° 11.047′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Mississippi, in Leflore County. Marker is at the intersection of Fulton Street and River Road, on the right when traveling south on Fulton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Fulton Street, Greenwood MS 38930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Point LeFlore (within shouting distance of this marker); LeFlore County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenwood Cotton Row District (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); WGRM Radio Studio Battery 'C' (approx. ¼ mile away); Charles Edward Wright (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenwood's First Artesian Well (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwood.
Also see . . . Greenwood History. (Submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Greenwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.