St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1784, when the Spanish returned, the Minorcan settlers brought to Florida by the British stayed. Their descendants too remained in 1821, when Florida became American. Two Minorcan brothers, Joseph and Peter Antonio Manucy, owned the house in 1838, adding the second story and the balcony. Dona Catalina Llambias, whose name the structure bears, bought it in 1854 and she and her family owned it for 65 years.
The Carnegie Institution of Washington, aided by the St. Augustine Historical Society, purchased the Llambias House in 1938 and presented it in trust to the City. The structure was restored in 1952-54.
The Altrusa Club was named custodian of the property by the Board of Trustees in 1967. The house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970. The St. Augustine Historical Society purchased the adjoining corner lot in 1973 to protect the scenic integrity of the Fernandez-Llambias house.
Erected by St. Augustine Historical Society.
Location. 29° 53.272′ N, 81° 18.652′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 St Francis Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Llambias House (a few steps from this marker); Garcia-Dummett House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gonzalez-Alvarez House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Francis Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Oldest Presbyterian Church in Florida (about 500 feet away); 56 Park Place (about 600 feet away); Major Dade and His Command Monuments (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2014, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.