Concord in Cabarrus County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Adolph Nussmann Monument
Born in German; educated in the University of Gottingen; called through commissioners Christopher Layrle of St. Johnís Church and Christopher Rintelmann of Organ Church to minister to Lutherans in North Carolina, arriving in the fall of 1773; able and thorough scholar; devout and self-sacrificing minister; died November 3, 1794; buried about 200 yards east of this monument.
This monument was erected in commemoration of the life and work of Adolph Nussmann by members and friends of St. Johnís Church, November 10, 1935, the one hundred and ninetieth anniversary of its organization.
Adolph Nussmann was the first Lutheran minister in North Carolina, serving Organ and St. Johnís Churches in Rowan Co. 1773-1774; and St. Johnís Church in Cabarrus Co. 1773-1794; and also traveling throughout the Piedmont section of North Carolina ministering to Lutherans and establishing churches for them.
Location. 35° 25.137′ N, 80° 28.499′ W. Marker is in Concord, North Carolina, in Cabarrus County. Marker is at the intersection of Touch for map. The monument is located on the grounds of St. John's Lutheran Church Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 St Johns Church Road, Concord NC 28025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John's Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); James P. Cook (approx. 5.9 miles away); Cabarrus Black Boys Fountain (approx. 5.9 miles away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 6.1 miles away); Barber-Scotia College (approx. 6.3 miles away); W. R. Odell (approx. 6.4 miles away); Warren Coleman (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concord.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 256 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 22, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.