Floresville in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Vicinity of site: “Mision de las Cabras”
("Mission of the Goats")
After secularization of the missions in 1794, lands here were owned by one of the descendants of Spain's colonists from the Canary Islands, Ignacio Calvillo. In turn, the Cabras site was inherited by Calvillo's flamboyant daughter, Dona Maria del Carmen (born in 1765). Noted for her independent spirit, she forsook her husband, Gavino Delgado, and personally managed the ranch, her long black hair flying in the wind as she rode a great white horse. She kept down Indian troubles by paying tribute in beef. In her time and for a century afterward Old Mission Cabras remained in use for rites of the Church.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Floresville TX 78114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Old Town: Lodi (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cemetery of Canary Islanders (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Dona Maria del Carmen, referenced on this marker is buried at the nearby Cemetery of the Canary Islanders
Also see . . .
1. Rancho de las Cabras. Texas Beyond History article. Describes archaeological work that has been done at the site. (Submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
2. Tour of Rancho de las Cabras. Details on National Park Service tours of this site that are available. (Submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.