Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Wapakoneta in Auglaize County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Plank Road

Wapakoneta to St. Mary’s

 

—Original Route 33 —

 
Plank Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
1. Plank Road Marker
close up, showing text
Inscription. Site of St. Marys – Wapakoneta plank road built 1850- 1852 of Burr and White Oak timber 3 to 5 ft in diam. cut and milled at Moulton financed by Wapakoneta – St Marys businessmen who charged toll for profit and maintenance. Replaced in 1882 by a gravel pike.

- - Toll - -

1 horse 4 wheel cart .15 --- each horse or mule .03 /

2 horse 4 wheel wagon .20 --- cattle each .01 /

1 horse sled --- .05 /

sheep each .0 ½ 2 horse sled --- .10 /

stage coach 2 horses .30
 
Erected 1976 by Auglaize County Historical Society.
 
Location. 40° 33.368′ N, 84° 17.889′ W. Marker is near Wapakoneta, Ohio, in Auglaize County. Marker is at the intersection of Moulton- New Knoxville Road (County Route 91) and Co Rd 33A Plank Pike (County Route 33A), on the left when traveling south on Moulton- New Knoxville Road. Touch for map. marker is just south, off US 33, in Moulton, Ohio; at the NE corner of Co. Rd, 33A “Plank Pike”, and Co Rd 91, “Moulton- New Knoxville Road”. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8014 Co Rd 33A, Wapakoneta OH 45895, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Plank Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
2. Plank Road Marker
full view of marker
flies. New Knoxville: The Ladbergen Kinship (approx. 4.4 miles away); Fort St. Marys (approx. 4.7 miles away); The "Short Level" of the Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 4.8 miles away); Miami and Erie Canal (approx. 4.8 miles away); Saint Marys River (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fort St. Marys / Fort Barbee / Girty Town (approx. 5 miles away); Bloody Bridge (approx. 5.2 miles away); Broadwell Mill (approx. 5.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Plank Road image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
3. Plank Road
marker can be seen in the distance. Looking north
Plank Pike image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
4. Plank Pike
looking east along the route of the ancient road
Us 33 image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
5. Us 33
just over the hill is the modern replacement of the Old Plank Pike- US 33, which carries close to Interstate status
The Cross Road image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 1, 2014
6. The Cross Road
the north - south cross road. At this corner stood the old Moulton Hardware store, the genesis of the propane business in this part of the world
Plank Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Baker, November 4, 2016
7. Plank Road Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 1, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.   7. submitted on November 4, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement